Wednesday, May 5, 2010

How can I sponsor my parent for a Green Card?

A Green Card allows you to permanently live and work in the United States. Green Card is also called as a Permanent Resident Card. There are several ways to obtain Lawful permanent residence in the United States. If you have a family member in the U.S. who is willing to sponsor you, then you can obtain a family-based Green Card. Obtaining Green Card for a parent is an easy process.

Eligibility requirements to sponsor a Green Card for a parent

If you are willing to sponsor a Green Card for a parent, you must meet the following requirements:
• You must be a U.S. citizen.
• You must be 21 years or older.

Permanent Residents and Conditional Residents are not eligible to sponsor a Green Card for a parent.

Process involved in filing a family-based Green Card application

The multi-step process that you should follow while sponsoring for a Green Card for a parent is given below:
• The first requirement for family-based Green Card is that, you should submit Form I-130 Petition for alien relative. This form is used to establish the relationship between you and your parent. Along with the form you have to submit a copy of your birth certificate, showing your parent's name.
• USCIS should approve Form I-130.
• You should file Form I-864, the Affidavit of Support to ensure the United States government that your parent will not become a public charge. As a sponsor you should be able to support your parent who is immigrating to the U.S. and your dependents (if any) at 125% or more according to the U.S. poverty guidelines. This is a very basic and essential requirement in the process of family-based Green Card application. You have to submit the Form I-864 with USCIS, when your parent is applying for adjustment of status.
Family-based Green Card applications require the Department of State to provide a immigrant visa number for your parent. The immigrant visa number will be available only after the immigration visa petition is approved.
• If your parents are living inside the U.S., they should apply for Adjustment of Status to receive a Permanent Resident Card.
• If your parents are living outside the United States, when they arrive in the United States their passport will be stamped. This stamp is an authorized seal until the Green Card is issued, that they are allowed to live and work in the U.S.

If you (sponsor) are inside the United States, you must submit the required forms and supporting documents for family-based Green Card application with the USCIS. If you are outside the U.S. you must contact the U.S. consulate to know how to proceed with the Green Card application process.

The processing time for family-based Green Card depends upon the preference category. If you are eligible to sponsor your parents, complete the required forms and send them to USCIS along with the supporting documents. Very soon you will be a Permanent Resident.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Nicole blog, I hope that you take time to leave me a comment. Be Kind and NO SPAM PLEASE, avoid Racism or any Personal attacks because I will delete your comment if you try. Thank you for stopping by and God Bless!